Today I spent a good portion of the afternoon doing a little pet care. Maxie got a little teeth cleaning {boy, they have good stuff in the pet stores!} and Pixie got a 2 1/2 hour grooming session {the price I pay for not paying attention to her fur for weeks on end}. Just weeks ago, we had to put Petey to sleep, so the time and attention given today didn't seem like a waste of time but, rather, just care given to family members that bring joy.
For, as much trouble as they bring {and believe me, they bring trouble: Max is still peeing in the house and Pixie barks "early" in the morning interrupting good sleeping time}, my puppies bring me joy. Max has been such a comfort to me after losing Petey because Max is a cuddler. If it were up to him, he would sit in your lap 24/7. Actually, both Pixie and Max came into the family with the knowledge that Petey was getting older and wasn't going to be with us much longer.
Pixie made me a dog person. Before her, I was an ardent cat person. But, she is such fun! She is feisty; she is alpha; she is 4 pounds of terror; she is "monster". She loves to play and is always ready to play tug-of-war with you. The only thing she won't share is her favorite ball, which she guards with her life. But even her paranoid guarding of a little nerf-like ball the size of a golf ball brings such joy {and lots of laughter}.
Even the old man himself, Petey brought good things to me. For he taught me how to take care to dog teeth {which helps Max because his teeth are super gross}, helped me learn self discipline and gentleness of taking care of him every night with his medicines, and gave me a chance to take care of someone near the end of their life. I've never had to put a pet down and it has changed me. Seeing death has changed me, even though it was my dog's. And I am thankful because I believe all of these things work for my betterment.
How about you? Have pets made your life better? Or are you happy to be "single"?
1 day ago

1 comment:
Great reading thiss
Post a Comment