Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Gratitude for Migraines

Now, here is a crazy statement: I am thankful for my migraines.

Of course, it is also true that I am thankful for the medications that prevent them, but because of that very first migraine on January 23, 2007 {that seemed to last forever}, I have had to make changes in my lifestyle, my work habits, my pace of life. Had to. No choice. I could no longer Do It All. At first, that seemed like a horrible thing. Surely, the world was going to fall apart...
...but it never did.

I learned to live at a slower pace, to let other people do things for me, and to let other people be responsible for things when I couldn't do something {delegation? definitely new word for me}. No longer was I driving the carpool in the morning, driving to the kids' practices in the evenings, working hard in between. Keith did the driving {and Leah and Justin as they got their drivers license}, meals were a la Costco, and many afternoons and evenings were spent outside, resting and enjoying the outdoors.

Sure, as I started taking preventative medications, I was able to do more {and I did more}, but the pace of life has remained slower. I would never want to go back to the way we lived before, it was way too hectic.

I'm sure these headaches will one day stop {hopefully sooner rather than later}, but their presence has already improved my life and I trust that they will continue to do the same for as long as I'm blessed with this trial.

And, for the record,
this was written on an "average" day.

What are you thankful for that others might think that you are crazy if you told them?

2 comments:

jill marie barrett said...

i think your positive attitude also helps. but, headaches suck!
jill b

Screen Doors Dale City said...

Thankss for writing



best viewed with Firefox