Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Super Fiber Muffin Bars

Last night it was baking night. For various and sundry reasons, I need more fiber in my diet. So I converted a muffin recipe that I like (oatmeal raisin) to use higher fiber ingredients. For ease, I bake them in a 9x9 square pan, hence the name Super Fiber Muffin Bars. They even have their own theme song thanks to J & E. Unfortunately, I can't get it off my phone so you can hear. I'll keep trying.

So, to save the recipe in case I lose the card (its happened before), here is my recipe for Super Fiber Muffin Bars.

Put into a mixing bowl and set aside:
1 3/4 cup King Arthur 100% Whole Wheat Flour
3/4 cup flaxseed meal

In a separate bowl, put:
1 cup Applesauce
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
3/4 cup oat bran
3/4 cup oatmeal
3/4 cup honey
1 cup raisins
Mix well and set aside for 10 minutes. Preheat the oven to 375°. Add to the first mixing bowl with the dry ingredients and mix:
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp salt
When the oven is preheated or 10 minutes is up, combine the dry with the moist and mix well. Place in a 9x9 square baking pan (greased or sprayed with PAM). Cook in a 375° oven for 35 minutes. If cut into 9 squares, each square will have approximately 8 grams of fiber. If you want to try them as actual muffins, the recipe calls for baking at 375° for 25 minutes. I don't know how many muffins it will make - its been too long since I've baked them that way.

I also buy the big jar of applesauce and pour 1 cup of applesauce into baggies and freeze them so that the applesauce doesn't grow mold before used up.

Enjoy!

Timmy: As long as my parents don't have to use the bathroom in the next 10 minutes I should be okay.
(cut to Mom and Dad at dining table)
Dad: Hey Honey, wanna challenge me to a water drinking contest?
Mom: Okay, let me just add these chocolate laxatives to my High-Fiber-O's. Hey! Let's make that prune juice.
Dad: PRUNE ME UP, BABY!
- The Fairly OddParents

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i voted! and right now i have 100% of the vote. that's awsome. i love zella's picture on the blog. it reminds me of that "dog" that was big a while ago. kind of a peep-hole thing.
jill b



best viewed with Firefox