After that brief repose, I tried again to figure out how to knit the ribbon so that I liked it. I also had accepted that it wasn't going to be 'perfect' - a big step for this perfectionist. I tried several things and this is the best technique that I found.
When you knit, the yarn goes over the needle from the front to back and this twists the yarn in one direction.
If you put the yarn over the needle from the back to front, the yarn twists in the opposite direction. (This puts the yarn on the needle in an unfamiliar way. When working a purl row after, this stitch would be ready for a knit stitch instead of a purl stitch.)
Even though the purl row was easier, I still had to find a way to keep the twist the same for each stitch. Alternating like the knit row didn't work for me because of the knit stitches that were "backwards" on the needle. So, this is how I hold the yarn for purl rows. First I hold the ribbon so that it comes out flat from the previous stitch.
Then, I fold the ribbon over my finger to give it one twist.
Then I keep that side flat, not letting it twist again, when I purl.
Even though this side was the easier one at first, it took more time to purl because I had to be so careful not to twist the yarn. But after several rows, it is getting easier to keep the yarn flat.
And now to show my progress:
Those who can’t do, teach. And those who can’t teach, teach gym.
- Dewey Finn (Jack Black) in School of Rock
- Dewey Finn (Jack Black) in School of Rock

1 comment:
but what is really amazing is how you can take a picture without using both of your hands! and i like the bikini top in the last picture.
just kidding
jill b
Post a Comment