Monday, March 30, 2009

Taxes and Taxing Thoughts

Sunday, we were over at my parents house. Here is where I get to tell you how I have the bestest husband ever. Not only does he handle our own finances, etc. he has done his mother's, his grandmother's, Leah's, and now my parents' taxes (and no, he doesn't want to do yours). That was the main reason we were over at my parents house. 

IMG_1587

While Keith and my mom were busy working on the computer, Dad and I were being busy outside (who was distracting who?). I had originally wanted to experiment with making tiny little tinfoil props to help with poor lighting when taking pictures of flowers (notice the fascination this year is flowers and clouds have become passe). Well, the lighting was just beautiful Sunday, so no experimenting with foil but I still took a few pictures of flowers.

When the taxes were done, Dad and I took a turn on the computer. We transferred pictures that he had taken a while ago from camera to computer, made 2 dvd backups, and then cleared off the card. A little overkill since these are not pictures that will generate any income but this all makes Dad feel safe knowing that his pictures (of their newly painted wall, which looks great, and of various shots of their pond) will not be lost if their computer dies or if one of the DVDs goes bad. We also wrote down the steps, just in case Dad wants to try when I'm not around or, so Mom knows how to do it, if need be.

IMG_1605

Sometimes, I'm saddened by Dad's memory loss and sometimes I'm encouraged by the initiative he takes. 

Many times I'm afraid for myself - what if I get Alzheimer's? And yet, if my two years with headaches haven't taught me anything, its that I will be taken care of no matter what happens, no matter who I am living with or who is taking care of me. For there is some One who watches sparrows and counts the hair on my head (and I will not be asking for the stats on grey vs. brown - I know I won't like those numbers). 

IMG_1610

And if I have to look up underneath the flowers so that I keep my perspective, so beit.
A retentive memory may be a good thing,
but the ability to forget is the true token of greatness.
~ Elbert Hubbard

1 comment:

jill marie barrett said...

beautifully put! and for the possibilty of us getting A? well, put it this way, my neurologist (sp?) had this reaction when i told him that all 4 of our grandparents had A.
me: yes, all 4 of my grandparents had A.
so is it just a matter of time before i get
it?
him: (pause), yep!
me: great.



best viewed with Firefox