Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Fixing a missing "Right Twist" in previous row

One of the things I love about knitting is the fact that you can fix almost any mistake even if you find it in the row below. I learned how to crochet first and a mistake in the previous row/round mean you rip it out or work around it. When I was first learning how to knit, I would diligently tink out rows of work to fix it before moving on. Quite discouraging. Plus any time I dropped a stitch, panic!

Now, I know that this never happens to you, but I generally am fixing quite a few stitches until at least half way through the project when the rhythm of the pattern becomes natural. With the yosemite sweater, I'm constantly forgetting the right twist stitches. And since it happened so frequently this weekend, I grabbed my camera and documented how I fixed the forgotten twist stitches.

From the pattern description:

RT (Right Twist): K2tog, but do not drop sts from left needle;
insert right needle between sts just worked together and k into first st again;
drop both sts from left needle.
IMG_2178
K2tog, but do not drop sts from left needle

IMG_2183
insert right needle between sts just worked together and k into first st again;
drop both sts from left needle


First, a little about working with the rows. We'll be dealing with the first and second stitches on multiple rows. So, I'll call the row of stitches on the needle as 1 or 2. The row below, the row that should have had the right twist stitch, I'll add the letter 'a' the stitch number.

So, when I notice that I've skipped the right twist in the previous row, I first remove the two stitches (1, 2) above where the twist should have been off the needle...
IMG_2184

Then I pull out the second stitch (2) but leave the first stitch (1) in tact. This leaves two stitches on different rows. Then, I pull the first stitch (1) through the second (2b) in the row below.

This has made the K2tog.

IMG_2191
K2tog in row b, only stitch 1 in the current row is showing. Need to make stitch 2.


Next, the crochet hook is already in stitch 1. Leaving stitch 1 on the crochet hook, I slip the hook into stitch 1a.
IMG_2193

To make stitch 2 of the current row, pick up the part of the yarn between stitch 1 and 3 (in the picture, its marked with an '*'). Pull it through stitch 1a (but the next stitch) to make stitch 2.

IMG_2198

And this is the fixed previous row, made without tinking, and now I can continue on with row #4 of the pattern.

I think trying to put it down into words was harder than fixing that stitch!

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new
- unknown, attributed to Albert Einstein

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, that is like listening to people order a special coffee. it actually a skill i wish i had!
jill b



best viewed with Firefox