Monday, April 7, 2008

Giki

In cleaning out my closet to make room for Justin's stuff, I found something precious - Emma's baby blanket. She is now 12 and I can hardly believe it myself. Emma was the only one of my kids that wasn't a spitter so she could get attached to one blanket in particular. This one had a pretty flannel side which was so soft and the other side had cute Noah's Ark pictures. I don't know how we got 'giki' out of 'blanket', but that is it's name.

Since this was the blanket for Emma, it got a lot of wear and tear (my hand is between the two layers which were once sewn together). When she was 3 or 4, I started to hide it so that it wouldn't have to be washed as often (I always found it on the floor). Emma would see it every once in a while and want it back. Its probably been 4 years since the last time she asked it, but (now that it has surfaced again) even now she wants it back. I wonder if I'm keeping it because I want to protect her treasure, or perhaps, I want to keep a little bit of her childhood with me. Most likely, the latter.

"There was a mix-up in the kitchen. Lucy was using my blanket to dry the dishes. We now have very secure dishes!"
- Linus van Pelt (Peanuts), on finding his missing blanket.

No comments:



best viewed with Firefox