Working in the IT field has its pros and cons. Staring at a computer screen all day long - definitely a con, especially for a migraineur. But, being able to work from home is one of the things I have always treasured.
I started telecomuting when I was pregnant with my oldest daughter. She's now 21, so you can imagine how technology has changed. I would connect to work with a 300 baud modem {yikes! Does anyone still use these?!} and could have things scroll on the screen without any paging software {i.e. more, less} because 300 baud was so slow that you could read the text as it scrolled past. As a mom, anything that kept me closer to my kids, made me happier. It allowed me to be more involved in their lives and there was nothing that I wanted more than that.
Being able to work from home when I started suffering migraines was the difference between short term disability and productive member of society. In the beginning, I worked from home every day while we struggled to gain control of the headaches. While I look back and think I should have taken the short tern disability, I also know that working during that time kept my mind off my troubles and kept me sane.
Even now, as things settle down, and I live a more normal life, working from home provides me a peaceful place to get my work done. For whatever reason, I have always felt physically better when I work from home, even before I started having migraines. I don't know if it is the commute that is skipped or the solitude but there is something about working by myself that makes me feel better. Proof that I'm an introvert? Perhaps. All I know is, if it works, don't fix it.
My telecommuting schedule had just recently changed and I now start the week working from home. I was worried it would be difficult to be disciplined enough on a Monday to work from home. Instead I have found it makes the transition from relaxed weekend to work week just that much easier. Thankfully.
What about your job or work environment are you thankful for?

No comments:
Post a Comment