Monday, November 12, 2012

Days of Gratitude: Inspiration

The thing about learning to rest is that eventually all you do is sit around on your duff, er, resting. And, for a while, that is a good thing since your body needs it but you know when you are getting better when you start to get bored.

That happened for me a couple of months ago.

I was very excited.

It is a strange feeling to get excited about being bored. But, after sitting around for 5 and 1/2 years, it is exciting to think that you might not have to sit around any more. I have since found out that is not the case, I'm just bored when I do it. And that can be a drag. Especially for a {former} Type A personality, like myself. Sometimes, I feel like I've lost a little bit of myself.

But, the other day, through various means, I was directed to this story on the Blog of Impossible Things. Read it. It is amazing. I'll wait....

I had never heard of Russell Kirsch before reading that blog post but I was so amazed by his story. Did you read the follow up story? Do! Because it is even more amazing. Not only did he do amazing things when he was being paid to do them, after he retired he continued to do amazing things just because he wanted to. He is a new hero of mine.

I started reading some of Joel's other posts, especially this one regarding how your physical limitations reveal your mental limitations and became intrigued with his list of Impossible Things. It is an interesting concept.

Now, my physical limitations are real limitations. There are just things I can't do. All the limitations that came with the headaches 5 years ago are (add 'without getting a migraine' after each one)
  • I cannot get up before 8:30
  • I cannot get less than 9 hours of sleep
  • I cannot look at a computer screen that has the brightness at 100%
  • I cannot exercise more than 10 minutes
  • I cannot go anywhere in the evening during the week
  • I cannot over exert myself on the weekends
  • I cannot play my cello
But, what if I made my list of Impossible Things? What if I dared to think of a day when I didn't have migraines and didn't have to be super careful with everything I did? What if I could get up before 8:30? What if I continued to search out medical help and actually made the appointments instead of procrastinating because I was too scared it wouldn't help anyway?

What if?

I have been inspired.

No comments:



best viewed with Firefox