Saturday, January 30, 2010

In Which Kim Gives a Lame Excuse for Her Extended Absence

New Year's Resolutions.

{I know, lame.}

carnations [IMG_3519]

Normally I don't do New Year's Resolutions. I tend to go a little bit overboard with things like this so if I do anything, I try to set vague goals. Last year was the first time I actually wrote down something specific or actually told anyone else what I was thinking. And I did an ok job not killing myself over them that I thought I could do that again this year. And since I didn't really make much progress on my physical goals (getting healthier, exercising more, etc), I thought I would focus on that this year.

Bad idea.

I tend go a little overboard when I focus on my weight and this year wasn't any different. But, I did start out with good intentions: stop eating candy from the candy jar that is 5 feet from my desk at work. This is the bane of my work day. Little Milky Ways and Three Musketeers call to me all day long... how can I say no? Sadly, I couldn't.

{I'm sure you don't have this problem}

carnations [IMG_3518]

So, I went looking for an online {free} site that I could enter in what I eat and maybe I could make a few small changes here and there... I found a few and tried them and my favorite was SparkPeople. What I liked about the site was that it was easy to enter in what I ate. But it doesn't stop there. You can track how much water you drink, how much you exercise, read articles that are encouraging and informative, etc. All these have been good things and have helped me stay away from that darn candy bowl for 4 weeks now {Yay!}.

But, now for the going overboard part. I have wanted to get back to regular exercise. And by exercise, I don't mean too much because aerobic exercise gives me headaches and puts me down for weeks at a time. I know this about myself and have been careful. That is, I have been until two weeks ago when I thought that I should exercise.

I mean, what could go wrong...

carnations [IMG_3541]

Week one: 1 1/2 hours on the wii, having fun playing Wii Resort and Wii Fit Plus on Saturday. Crazy girl. Downturn started on Sunday. Didn't touch the computer all week, didn't crochet, didn't scrapbook, didn't do anything all week long but sit on the couch thinking to myself that maybe {maybe} I should have shown some restraint.

carnations [IMG_3529]

Week two: 10 minutes on the wii: mostly yoga with Wii Fit Plus and a little Kung Fu {which is too fun to pass up} on Saturday. Crazy girl. Downturn started on Sunday. Didn't touch the computer all week, didn't crochet, didn't scrapbook, didn't do anything all week long but sit on the couch thinking to myself that maybe {definitely} I should have shown some restraint.

Today: No time on the wii, enjoyed Presley's birthday party, blogging in the evening. Back to my regular activities. No expected downturn tomorrow.

Realization: I can live with the goal of not eating from the candy dish at work, making small changes, healthy changes to my diet, maybe {but not for a good while} increasing how much yoga I do.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are back, I missed your posts.

Anonymous said...

And that would be mom who forgot to sign her name.



best viewed with Firefox