After we painted Emma's room, we realized that her shelves (which had a built-in desk) needed some refurbishing. The plan: sand them and paint them white.
So, while all of Emma's stuff was in baskets, Justin sanded shelves and drawers in twos. After a couple of weeks, all of the pieces had been sanded by Justin and painting could begin.
Being June, I was not going to paint outside. That is just crazy-talk. I'd much rather be inside with the air-conditioning, fans, and the tv! And by fans, I don't mean people cheering me on. Not that lucky. But ceiling fans were wonderful.
(future posting spoiler - this will be the last time you'll see that TV).
The paint that I used was an exterior paint that Keith had bought for the shed and was a flat paint.
I was able to crank out two coats on all of the shelves. But since we are talking about shelves and you have to paint the bottom when the top part of the shelf is dry, that means a grand total of 4 coats in one day. Oh, my aching back.
Note to self: don't do yoga before painting shelves.
Apparently, I cannot paint anything without painting covering myself with paint. Sometimes I step in it, other times its all over my hands. Today, I kept sticking my fingers in the paint.
I did not like the finish of the flat paint (not very smooth) and even after 2 coats, the shelves still had some of the previous dark stain coming through, so the brushes went into the freezer until I was able to complete painting the shelves.
And, thanks to the time-elapsed wonder of blogging, part 2 shouldn't take a month before you see the painted shelves in their glory. But, I also promised pictures of the shed when it was finished and I still haven't posted that.
Life is a great big canvas,
and you should throw all the paint you can on it.
~ Danny Kaye







No comments:
Post a Comment