Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Big Hunt

Justin got an elk tag this year and Keith's cousin Phil helped arrange a hunt up north. Keith's other cousin Ken's daughter Alison also got an elk tag, so we had two teens with guns ready to hunt. The plans were all set to head out this coming Friday (24th). That was until last Wednesday when Phil called and said that they had been mistaken about the dates and the hunt had to be this weekend (which is now last weekend). So, in one day, Keith pulled together what he could and off they went up north after school on Thursday.

Emma took her new camera and did a really good job taking pictures. And now, you get to enjoy them too.

100_0158

You know Justin has been dreaming of this for a long time. He's quite a good shot too.

100_0159

You'd be surprised with our little tom-boy Emma. She will definitely be a very good nurse/doctor someday. (WARNING: Jill or anyone else with a tender heart - don't read the rest of this paragraph) Our Emma had no qualms with the hunt or with handling parts of the elk afterwards. Keith tells me that she had a hoof and was playing with the tendons that would move as she moved the joints.

100_0161

Keith's cousin Phil. Is he ever grumpy? Only Gail can answer that one. Big thanks to Phil for setting up the hunt.

100_0176

I think Emma really enjoyed the scenery because she took a lot of pictures of the forest. She picked out some trees with character like this one. Most of the pictures she took while on the back of the quads while they were out hunting.

100_0179

I'm sure there was lots of laughter around the campfire. Keith's family are big storytellers and they'll keep you in stitches. This is the part that I wished I could have gone on the trip to enjoy.

100_0184

Alison is Ken's daughter and so that makes her Justin and Emma's second cousin. Justin was a part of the group that were trailing the elk and trying to get them to move towards group #2 so that Alison could take her shot. Once Alison got her elk, then Justin was waiting while the others tried to herd the elk towards him. At least, that is how I understood how the hunt went.

100_0187

This was the mode of transportation while searching for the elk. I think that this is Uncle John and Alison on the quad in front of Emma who I assume is taking the picture. If you look very closely, there is another quad in the very front. That quad has the elk and Ken.

100_0191

Keith's cousin Ken, who has been so kind in the past to show Justin around his base and let him shoot a while back. That made a big impression on Justin.

100_0200

Keith borrowed his brother's camper and the three of them probably just barely fit. Can you imagine trying to add Leah and me inside? I don't think so. Part of me wanted to go, but the rest wanted to sleep. And sleep is king right now.

100_0206

The campsite. I think Emma did a real good job taking pictures.

Until lions have their historians,
tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter.
~ African Proverb (from thinkexist.com)

No comments:



best viewed with Firefox