Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Chronic

IMG_3298I've been doing a lot of thinking these past few weeks after a recent medication change. This latest one (topamax) has not been a smooth one emotionally or physically. Its been a pendulum swinging, bad week, good week, bad week. Last week was a bad week and I was so near just quitting. Who cares if I can't get up earlier than 8:40 in the morning, who cares if I can't get back into the gym and work on my physical health, who cares if I can't play my cello . . .oh, wait, there is a reason I'm putting up with all of this. And, from what I hear from those around me that also struggle with migraines, this rough adjustment is normal and worth it.

IMG_2357I've held out this long thinking that I'll find the magical combination that will bring be back to 'normal', whatever that means. I read something last week about chronic illness and something clicked for me. So, after a year and 8 months, I think I can now accept that I have a chronic condition. And, while I will still be seeking relief/healing, I have decided to stop holding my breath.

This means:
  • I have canceled my gym membership. I haven't been to the gym since November 2006. And even though strenuous aerobic exersize has been out for a long time, I will find ways that I can exercise: yoga, balance/resistance training (yea, wii fit).

  • I may not be healthy enough to commit to practicing regularly or even be feeling good enough to show up to cello lessons every week, but I will try to find 15-20 minutes twice a week to play my cello just for the pure joy of it.

  • I will start searching for a neurologist that I feel comfortable talking with. Life is too short to wait an hour for a scheduled appointment!

  • I will stop trying to get back to 'normal' and appreciate the benefits of the way God has structured my life. God is with me in this and I so feel his presence with me. He has squeezed so much good from this trial that it can't be called a silver lining.
IMG_2558

I believe in looking reality straight in the eye and denying it.
- Garrison Keillor

No comments:



best viewed with Firefox