One year, I planted red leaf and green leaf lettuce. That year we had a lot of weeds, but I diligently pulled each and every single one. Unfortunately, I realized only too late that I had pulled every red leaf lettuce seedling. Argh! We did enjoy lots of salads and sandwiches with fresh lettuce that year and I learned what lettuce looked like when it bolted (and boy does it bolt).
Each year, I let the lettuce go to seed.
So, thanks to my laziness, El Niño storms bringing lots of spring rain, and the Maker of seeds, we have lettuce growing again. {I always knew that my laziness would take me places.}
Climate is what you expect. Weather is what you get.
~ Mary Voice
National Climate Centre, Melbourne, Australia
taken from El Niño Quotes
![the beginnings of a bumper crop [IMG_4846]](http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/4405678570_defb017d75.jpg)
![lettuce eat! [IMG_4849]](http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4066/4404921161_e249630528.jpg)

2 comments:
off the subject, but love your frames used on grandma nelsons scrapbook page. did you create it or purchase the frames? like the swirlly drawn elements. thanks for sharing. i love digital just wish i had more time to learn
the lettuce always grows, even in the drive way ^-^
Post a Comment