Last Saturday, we attended a wedding. Keith's cousin's son was getting married.
I don't know about you, but we have a history for being late for weddings. Its been a while since we've been invited (and hopefully that's because most of our friends are already married and not because we just can't make it on time) but back in the day there were several weddings where we barely sat down in the back row before the bride and groom were pronounced man and wife and the procession started down the isle.
Sadly, this weekend our past repeated itself. I knew I was in trouble when I realized that I had a hair cut scheduled for Saturday morning. And then, Emma needed a dress and we stopped off at Target.
And then we didn't have a full tank of gas to get out to Gilbert.
We would have made it if it weren't for that stop for gas.
This is where you stand when you are late for the wedding and don't want to be noticed. We were not the only late ones, but I won't embarrass our fellow shade seekers by including them in the picture.
Two benefits of being late: 1) you get to stand in the only sliver of shade that is available on the hottest day in October since the beginning of time, 2) you can take pictures of the wedding without bothering the other guests or your husband.
By now, you might be tempted to think I planned the empty tank of gas.
Congratulations, Torrie & Blaine!
We waited a bit and then ran around down to the seats and got into the reception line. No one knows the difference. At least, no one did.
And then came the uncomfortably hot period of time inbetween the wedding and the reception. We entertained ourselves as best we could. I broke my camera out and started taking pictures.
Paul and Grams, who soon will have a small wedding of their own.
We watched the photo session of the wedding party.
We watched {enviously} Presley dangle her feet in the fountain. She would make little splashes and every once in a while she'd make bigger splashes and Tiffany would tell her 'little splashes' and she would make little splashes. She was very content, enjoying the water.
Ain't she a cutie!
Grams and Brooks, who was the quietest, happiest baby at the wedding.
The golf course was near the mountains and the reception was on a patio that overlooked the golf course and the mountains. The sky was so clear. It was beautiful.
Too bad it was so dang hot! Who would have ever thought that it would have been over 100 degrees in the middle of October?
Finally, Emma noticed that there was a steady stream of people, one or two at a time, heading inside. We followed and enjoyed air conditioning for a bit before dinner. Why did we wait so long?
While sitting in air conditioned comfort, we planned where we were going to sit during the reception and had to jump at the table quickly when the time was right. Luckily, we were just the right number of people to take up a whole table and didn't have to split up.
Then (again), we had to entertain ourselves until dinner came.
Luckily, crystal glasses came to the rescue! You are seeing Keith's glasses and hand and hearing both Keith's and Jason's glasses. I still find it amazing that crystal glasses will sing so.
The centerpieces were beautiful. Strung on the branches were necklaces and earrings. Real flowers were placed on the branches. Marigolds and tea light candles were in the base.
Brooks was such a good baby, never crying or anything.
The groomsmen and the maid of honor making their grand entrance.
Grams motioned to me to look down and take a picture. I love it when people do that, for I get the best shots when the do. This is Brooks holding Paul's hand.
Thanks Grams.
And the bride and groom!
I spy a cutie! I had taken a couple of shots by just setting my camera on the table, but when I saw that I had a clear shot of Presley, I thought I'd take a little video too...
Presley initially drops a pretzel. She is offering the bunch of pretzels to Emma who sat right next to her - don't you think its cute when little kids offer something and then take it back. I love how Presley is listening to all of us clap at the end of the father of the bride's toast and joins in the applause.
No pretzels were harmed in the making of this video. What happened afterwards, we shall not speak of.
I love marigolds. They remind me of my mom and my childhood. Mom always had marigolds growing. Seeing them here made me want to go home and plant some right away. I know just the spot...
But the best part of the centerpieces came when the sun went down and the tea lights were lit. They were beautiful.
Emma took this picture of us. And isn't that just like me - here we went and got her a new dress (and a pretty one too) and I didn't even take one picture of her in it while I take plenty of Presley and Brooks.
Well, they had a photo booth and Emma and I did go into it and I'll have to scan/post those pictures so I can pretend that I planned to use them all along and that was why I didn't take any pictures of Emma (agh).
Grow old along with me, the best is yet to be.
~ Robert Browning




















No comments:
Post a Comment