Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Driving out to San Diego

entertainment for a 5hr drive

This past weekend, we took a little vacation out to San Diego to see our favorite San Diego resident. The kiddos took along a few things to pass the time.

how I spent my time

I had ordered the yarn so that it would be my project for the trip and I got started right away. Boy, am I sore from knitting the 5 hour drive up and the 5 hour back. Thankfully, this is massage week and my aching back/neck will get some relief.

eat and run

Like last time, we ate in the car so that we could make good time because (like last time) we got a late start. But, unlike last time, Keith insisted on going to McD's which is a first and surprisingly we all loved their new menu.

We drove out in the Infiniti, which did give Leah a little bit of worry (to say the least) when she heard about that plan. She didn't think that good 'ole Rustilla had it in her. But we've been doing a lot of work on that car and she is driving pretty good. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to get the driver's side window working. We've replaced the motor (twice?) but it keeps breaking.

So, Emma had to do all the ordering, paying, and talking to the border control. The latter brought lots of laughs as we all were thrown by the different questions at each stops and just explaining that the window doesn't roll down makes you feel like you are starting off on the wrong foot.

Luckily, Emma answered the questions correctly and we made it through each checkpoint (whew).

the dunes

This trip, there wasn't as many pictures taken while driving. Everyone else thought that I must have been feeling bad or something because that wasn't like me, but I had a project this time and was really enjoying that since my last project was finished in February (quite a while ago).

But, the dunes are just cool. They look so fake, like someone photo-shopped the scenery. Today, there was a breeze and the sand was being blown across the highway. It looked cool but wasn't something that I could capture in video or pic (I tried).

And, before you know it, we are in San Diego and picking up Leah and off to where we are staying.

The weather was beautiful. The ocean breezes were wonderful. We had the windows open almost as soon as we arrived.

wedding central

We were drinking in the scenery.

We noticed that across the street there was a wedding where the attendees were seated so that they were overlooking the bay.

Just a bit latter, we saw another couple in a convertible, driving by. No wedding party following or anything. Just driving parade-style, enjoying the view and (one can imagine) their new found married status.

a better view out of our window

With my apologies to the Maker of those beautiful views all around us, I think I like this view better.

I love seeing these three together.

on the beach

Before dinner, we went down to the beach to enjoy it. It was chilly but after having heat until October 1st, I didn't mind the chilly breezes.

the money shot

Now, any time there are some stairs or anything that I can stand on something higher or Keith can stand lower, I take the opportunity for a picture. Emma, er, Leah (I know where you live, don't think I can't find out who you are) was my photographer this day and she got the perfect shot. This one is going on the wall!

Thanks, Leah.

the beach at sunset

The beach was just beautifully gray this night. I had to wait a bit for a couple to move their stroller but this picture was worth the wait.

enjoying the view

We sat on the boardwalk and enjoyed the view. We watched people go by. We talked about all kinds of things, none of which solved any world problems.

a pic with my girl

Then we drove to eat. We sat outside and enjoyed the evening. We each ordered something different and shared our meals.

Not as utopian as it reads, but still a very good beginning of a vacation.
To myself I am only a child playing on the beach,
while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.
~ Isaac Newton

3 comments:

leah said...

mother! i took that picture lol

jill marie barrett said...

yea! i am glad leah is home!!
great pictures...

kim•ber•ly said...

Agh. Apparently I can't remember anything! Sorry Leah



best viewed with Firefox