Sunday, September 9, 2012

Milk Ranch Point

Last weekend, Keith and I went camping at my favorite place up on the rim, Milk Ranch Point.

We didn't really have to pack much food. We've been buying meals from a friend who is an excellent cook. She puts up a menu each week and we order by Thursday and pick up Monday night. When we left Saturday morning, we just grabbed the meals that were left and ran.

Camping made easy.

IMG_0224

I love watching the scenery change. My favorite part, though, is when the pine trees start lining the streets.



At first, we thought we'd stay at Sunrise Resorts at Clint's Wells. As we pulled in it was raining and it hailed. They were all full, so we went looking down Milk Ranch Point to see there was any good spot left in the woods or if the woods were too full of people.

IMG_0229

It was Labor Day Weekend and, really, we didn't leave until Saturday afternoon, we didn't even expect to get my favorite spot, which overlooks the valley from the rim edge. But we did score a pretty good one by a beautiful meadow.

Someday, I want a home in the pines with a meadow. A meadow just like this one. You'll see why in a bit.

While Keith setup camp, I went on a nature walk.

IMG_0232

There were lots of mushrooms {and you know how much I love mushrooms}

IMG_0235

IMG_0236

And trees with character

IMG_0240

And little pretty flowers covered with little bugs

IMG_0243

IMG_0244

IMG_0250

IMG_0251

Make a wish!

IMG_0253

Old wooden logs

IMG_0254

And, the meadow to judge all other meadows by...

IMG_0260

...which was surrounded by a wonderfully, dilapidated wood fence

IMG_0261

IMG_0262

In the middle of the meadow, you could see that there was something white. I had assumed it was mushrooms since there were so many in the woods. But, it was actually painted rocks that was a sign to low flying planes. You can see it on a satellite view of Milk Ranch Point, if you zoom in really close, which means that 747's can't see this either.

IMG_0265

Sigh.
Bokeh love

IMG_0267

Later in the afternoon, Keith got busy with the fire.

IMG_0268

One of the logs we had gathered had moss growing on it.

IMG_0270

We had a fire going for hours. I didn't do any knitting until Monday.
{I know, crazy right?}

Instead, we just sat around the fire on Saturday and enjoyed the fact that we could just sit there and watch. Fire is fascinating, even if you aren't a pyro. And, of the two of us, only one  of us isn't.

IMG_0273

It sprinkled a bit. So, we watched from inside the camper.

IMG_0274

And, we watched some more.



We watched late into the night.

There is something wonderful  about sitting out in the pines.

IMG_0276

I finally had a chance to sit and read a book. I haven't done that in years.

Keith had gotten an advanced copy of the book version of the movie Home Run when he went to Summit, so I got to read what he got to see. I can't wait to see the movie myself.

I was wrapped up in a blanket, sitting near the best meadow in the world, reading a great story about redemption. What could be better?

IMG_0278

That night, we roasted marshmallows.

IMG_0282

Ahh, the trees - why don't these grow in the desert?

IMG_0280

We stuck around until late Monday afternoon and then we packed up and went home.

And, you know, I was ready to go home.

It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
~ Dave Barry

No comments:



best viewed with Firefox