Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Vacation Drawings

Two of the days that we were on vacation, I took out my pencil set and did a few real life drawings. And these are my first drawings that I've done without step by step instructions. I was pleased with how they turned out.

carriage house

The carriage house was just down the "hill" from the lodge and our room. I sat on the little retaining wall by our door and drew. It was cool and peaceful outside.

I had trouble with the roof, but overall I am pleased with the drawing. I especially like my tree.

carriage house [IMG_6600]

A cute little carriage house.

tree

I could see this tree from the porch. I sat on the swing and drew. What an enjoyable hour.

tree [IMG_6678]

The tree and the little yucca like plants in its shade really caught my eye. Next time, I think I would draw less of the surroundings and concentrate on the main focal point.

And, amazingly, I'm starting to figure out which pencils I like to use for certain things and I'm starting to have favorites.

So, I think I'll keep drawing.
A drawing is always dragged down to the level of its caption.
~ James Thurber

No comments:



best viewed with Firefox