Saturday, September 18, 2010

Burro Mountain Getaway

packed car [IMG_6558]

A couple of weekends ago, we packed up the car {as much as we could}, left Justin behind, and drove to Burro Mountain Homestead in New Mexico for a vacation.

Yes, a vacation.
{I know}

tunnel [IMG_6560]

We drove through Globe/Miami {AZ} and then across to NM.

It's been 20 years since I've been to Globe/Miami {for a track invitational where the only memorable things were wearing our sweats on a hot Spring day so the sun wouldn't zap our strength and the bus breaking down which was a common occurrence for our small school on away trips}.

view on our way [IMG_6569]

The mountains were very pretty.

vacation knitting project [IMG_6578]

But, the drive up was not for picture taking. I brought an appropriate amount of yarn {purchased just for the vacation} and swatched/knitted on the drive up.

So, no more pictures until we got to our turn off, near the strip mine...

strip mine near by [IMG_6572]

... which looks more like a field than a mine, but whatever.

a little sun flare love [IMG_6574]

Love the sun flare.

Burro Mountain Homestead! [IMG_6583]

And, bam, 6 hours later we were there!

the view from the porch [IMG_6584]

Since it was vacation, I didn't take crazy amounts of pictures. I also didn't sleep well, so I didn't always feel my best. In fact, I didn't take very many pictures of us or any of the boat load of family that we came up to meet. So, there was a lot of sitting, knitting, and enjoying the view. Here's the view Emma and I enjoyed from the porch swing.

the porch [IMG_6667]

And this is the porch {with said porch swing}.

deer [IMG_6586]

The deer are very friendly and come right up to the lodge.

feeding the deer [IMG_6595]

They might be friendly, but they are still wary of us humans. It took David a while to get this close to be able to feed the deer out of his hand. But still, how cool is that!

sunset [IMG_6597]

The sunset from the porch.

my diversion [IMG_6681]

Other than swinging on the porch, I knitted...

entertainment [IMG_6682]

... and did a little drawing and took a few pictures.

our room [IMG_6665]

Here's the quaint little room we rented. The lodge was an old historic building and its construction really reminded me of my Grandma's house.

inside [IMG_6686]

The decorations inside helped too.
{Great picture, Emma}

our kitchenette [IMG_6669]

Our room came with a little kitchenette too. It was just too cute and we ate our breakfast just outside the door.

kitchenette [IMG_6687]

An inside view of the kitchenette.

bird [IMG_6671]

A bird outside our room.

gorilla rock [IMG_6689]

Gorilla rock is apparently famous world-wide. Certainly, you've heard of it too.

No?
{Me neither}

mountains on the way home [IMG_6690]

But, all good things must come to an end and this applies to vacations in the mountains as well. So, we packed up our things and left Monday afternoon, shortly after lunch.

are we home yet? [IMG_6693]

I didn't want to go home. But, since I'm not independently wealthy {yet}, home I must go.

why we never get rain [IMG_6698]

And as we were driving into town, we saw proof that the heat bubble over our part of town that repels most rain storms.

Ah, home.
A vacation is having nothing to do and all day to do it in.
~ Robert Orben

No comments:



best viewed with Firefox