Saturday, July 17, 2010

Painting the Kitchen Cabinets {Part 1}

Don't ask me what got into me. I've been dreaming about painting the kitchen cabinets for a long time now. I've been wanting to take advantage of the summer {and the free teenage slave labor} but I just haven't had a bur in my side until last weekend. It could have been the Friday we had off from work while they moved our computers at work. It could have been that I totally wasted the July 4th weekend by sitting around {resting, of course}, or it could have been . . .

. . . well, er . . .
{I've got nothing}

So, Friday, we got started.

before [IMG_6073]

The cabinets must be about 40 years old . . .

the main reason [IMG_6076]

. . . and they are showing their age.

cleaning out the cabinets and removing the doors [IMG_6082]

Emma and Justin helped me unload the cabinets and take off the doors.

sanding [IMG_6085]

Justin sanded.

We didn't sand the cabinets all the way back to the wood and remove all of the paint. We just sanded it a bit to scratch up the surface so the paint would stick better {we'll see if that theory holds up to the wear and tear we give out kitchen}.

its only primer [IMG_6090]

Finally, we started painting. After spending way too much time on the first two cabinets, we started telling ourselves, "It's only primer".

And, we painted. And painted. And I began to wonder if I had bit off a bit too much. Emma had said we should only paint half of the upper cabinets.
{ I began to wish I had agreed. }


got a wee bit dirty [IMG_6093]

We did finally finish. We got a little bit of paint on ourselves in the process, but we were done and ready for Bueno Burgers {Justin's treat}.

Day 2

Unloading all of the upper cabinets produced a problem. Where were we going to put all of that stuff?


We started with the table . . .

and more stuff [IMG_6098]

. . . and the buffet.

and more stuff on the floor [IMG_6099]

The canned goods went along the wall . . .

and on the chairs

Chairs for spices and the medicine cabinet . . .

and on the sewing table and piano

And the sewing table and piano for all the rest.
{Whew!}

oh, darn, got to change the countertop [IMG_6106]

Oh, darn. We have to replace the countertops, now.

yummy [IMG_6114]

Now, we are ready to paint with the real stuff - no more primer. Well, except for the spots where we missed {spots on two shelves - oh my, what happened to being thorough?}

the diff between primer and first coat of paint [IMG_6119]

You can see the difference between the primer coat {on the left} and the first coat of paint {on the right}. 

If we told ourselves that "It's only primer" yesterday, we told ourselves "I love it"
{ok, it was just me}

this is what happens when you blow on a small spec of dust near the range hood [IMG_6121]

Well, I loved it until I went to blow away a little speck of dust near the vent above the stove {and microwave}. One little spec became a flurry of dust that appeared from behind the vent.
{So, this is why you clean up before painting. 
I always wondered}

I waited a day and the mess was easily cleaned up {thankfully}.

E was a big help [IMG_6124]

Emma was a huge help. She painted each day with me {the entire time}. I never {ever} would have finished without her help.

[first coat of paint [IMG_6128]

Justin did his part - he took a few pictures {not this one, Emma took this}.

the only disappointment [IMG_6132]

The only disappointing thing of day 2 was that we found some stains that came right through the paint as it dried. No matter how much paint we applied, it still came through. At least its mostly on the bottom of the shelves and cabinets.

muscle relaxer [IMG_6135]

At the end of day 2, there was a definite need for relaxation.
{Emma had to relax in her own way}

Day 3

More painting? Really? I don't want to paint anymore!

day three [IMG_6163]

Well, if Emma will paint with me, I'll keep going.

And as we started, we made sure that this coat covered very well. I didn't want to have to paint another coat!

best help ever [IMG_6165]

This was the best investment! The first day I was standing on my tippy-toes to paint the upper shelves and boy was I shaky at the end of the day. This two step ladder is so helpful {and very light}

pizza day

Half way through, we decided that Sunday was Pizza Day {all day long}. So even though it was in the middle of the afternoon, we ordered pizza {and wings!}

such a big help! [IMG_6173]

And we soldiered on to get that last cabinet painted.

all done [IMG_6174]

Ah, done!
{Whew!}

ah, worth it all [IMG_6176]

Every time I went by the kitchen, I was just so happy with the way the cabinets turned out.

Of course, this means I have to paint the lower cabinets too. I was quoted as saying it will only take another 4 weeks to finish {if we paint smaller sections each weekend}. But, after crashing this past week, we still haven't gotten everything put back into the cabinets. We are considering our options when it comes to buying new doors or sanding/painting the existing ones.

I just hope we get everything painted up before the next family party {which would be Emma's birthday}.
{And that's not sounding too likely}
In about the same degree as you are helpful, you will be happy.
~ Karl Reiland

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is looking good! If you still need to paint the bottom cabinets when I have enough flexibility, I just might volunteer to help. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

This is looking good! If you still need to paint the bottom cabinets when I have enough flexibility, I just might volunteer to help. Love, Mom

jill marie barrett said...

they look awsome!! you are inspiring me to paint mine. lately i have seen so many kitchen redos, selective perception?
maybe...
jill b

The Nettles Family said...

I am thinking that the counter drops might NOT have been an accident???! For sanding the doors, they have a liquid sander that you paint/rub on and leave (I think, I bought some for my craft cabinet but didn't need to use it), then paint right over...maybe you should look into that! And for the stains...get a can of Kilz spraypaint primer and then put another coat after you paint the Kilz...they will be gone forever, from sight!

They are beautiful!

choo choo knits said...

can't wait to see what happens with the doors. i've been contemplating painting our outdated cabinets as well - but am too chicken to start it in case I don't like it. you're an inspiration!



best viewed with Firefox