Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Ginger, Marshmallow, Toffee, Malted Milk

When I first decided that I was going to make the Layout sweater, I did not like the colors that the designers picked out. And, I also wanted to user a lighter weight yarn, because, quite frankly, it is just quite hot here and just because its cotton doesn't mean its wearable.

I searched ravelry for the various yarns that people used and finally selected the Knit Picks sport weight yarn. But, what colors to use for the stripes? That was a hard choice.

After staring at the colors...
... for a long while ...

... I was no where closer to deciding. I had to do something to help me choose. So I took my handy dandy editing tool { I heart gimp } and started picking colors from the pictures off the web site and putting them together.

Pretty soon, I had a collection of palettes.

blues

There were blues...

greens

... and greens ...

pinks

... and pinks...
... {and pinks with greens } ...

But, I wasn't really in love with any of those selections. Instead, I was drawn back to the picture of their four color choices for their organic yarn. So I made a few attempts with the natural colors...

naturals

But, when I put the following combination together...

final

... I was in love!

Of course, the mistake that I made was when I picked up the colors of the two lightest colors and the program picked colors that were almost indistinguishable, I made the lightest color white.

That should have been my first clue that those colors would look too much alike and wouldn't have the same contrast that the picture did.
Bummer.

So, the sweater, from afar, probably looks like there are only 3 different colors. But, still, I still love the colors. Though, perhaps because I've looked at them for quite a while, I find that looking at the pinks and greens and blues again that I like some of them { more }.

Perhaps I'll just have to use them in a different project.

Another excuse to buy more yarn! {As if I needed one}
Beauty seen is never lost, God's colors all are fast.
~ John Greenleaf Whittier

1 comment:

jill marie barrett said...

by the title of your post, i thought we were going to discuss delicious deserts, or possible stripper names... take your pick.

just kidding, even though i don't understand much of the lingo, you know what you are doing, your sweater looks fantastic!
jill b



best viewed with Firefox