Saturday, December 12, 2009

Thanksgiving Day & the 12th Annual Horseshoes Tournament

When you think of Thanksgiving, what do you think of?

horseshoes


Horseshoes, right?

No?

Well, every year that my brother-in-law has done Thanksgiving, he has held his horseshoes tournament and it has become the hightlight of the Thanksgiving festivities.

horseshoe pits

So, when we arrived, the two horseshoe pits were ready for tournament play.

sign ups

And the money taker (i.e. my loving brother-in-law), was ready to sign you up for the tournament... if you had your $1 (you did bring your entrance fee, right?).

Dressed for the holiday!

But, I'm getting ahead of myself.

Tyler was already in the Thanksgiving mood, well dressed for the occasion.

our little god of war

Ryder was a cute as always, which is two for two. I have a feeling this streak will continue.

C is ready to eat

A thoughtful Chase. Or perhaps he is patiently waiting for his supper?

time to eat

The regulars were all there. Jesse was able to be there for a bit but he was on duty that day and couldn't stay the entire day. David's Dad joined us, which was nice.

my new favorite veggie: brussel sprouts

Everyone was looking forward to trying Keith's world famous Brussel sprouts (they are my favorites, you know). And sure enough, Keith was right when he said that there would be more for us - this is the bowl when I went back for seconds.

a unicorn showed up at the party

You might think I captured another cute picture of Tyler here, but actually I was able to capture a rare picture of a unicorn. Some think that unicorns don't exist, but clearly they do. I have a picture of one.

P with her dinner

Presley with her dinner.

As soon as dinner was over, the tournament started. There is no messing around. Some years, we are finishing up at dusk. This year, the tournament moved smoothly and finished up with plenty of daylight to spare.

the rest of us take a seat to watch

And, even though John has two pits running (and 4 teams playing), there are lots of spectators to cheer or heckle.

and the kiddos play safely in the play area

And, the little ones get to play in the fenced in play area with a sand box and swing (someone was planning ahead).

best part of the holidays

And, the best part about the holidays is getting to see Leah, which is a rare treat these days.

Uncle David and B

Spectators also get to hold babies while the mom's play. Uncle David is holding Brooks.

Grams and R

And Grams is holding Ryder.

Jim & Gail

Jim & Gail

our little god of war

Ryder. I see a little Tyler in that face (which means I see a little Jesse too).

horseshoes tournament

Most everyone gets a chance to play and no one gets to choose their partner. One year Grams and I won (ah, memories). No such luck this year. I was paired with David's Dad and we lost in the first round, through no fault of my partner. We were up against some good horseshoes players. Still, it was lots of fun.

ringer!

Ringer!

Soon, we were down to the last two teams: Paul & Keith (white) vs. Jason & Jim (black). Who would win?




the winners


Congrats to Keith and Paul. I think Paul made out better than Keith who really only netted $3 after having to pay for the all 5 of our entrance fees (well, actually 6, 'cuz Leah played twice).

But, still, it is fun to win. I mean, you get the cool trophy and bragging rights for the whole year. How can you beat that?

Coming soon: pictures from after the tournament (yes, there is another post's worth of pictures)
So once in every year we throng
Upon a day apart,
To praise the Lord with feast and song
In thankfulness of heart.
~Arthur Guiterman, The First Thanksgiving

No comments:



best viewed with Firefox