Saturday, March 12, 2011

Sparkling White Mae Flower Necklace

I decided to wait before starting my next big knitting project. I've already got it picked out, but I really wanted to have some margin. Maybe the big projects are crowding out something fun?

Sure, I spent a few evenings catching up on shows, but, really, how long can one do just that? And I have been wanting to try some of the cute jewelry patterns on ravelry, so why not now?

First up, the Mae Flower Necklace.

3 flowers of the Mae Flower necklace [IMG_7861]

Its a crocheted necklace of flowers and circles. Each piece is small and easily made. It actually takes more time assembling and tucking in all the ends than it does to make all those tiny circles.

I used a white crochet thread that has an added sparkle to it with a pearly white plastic strand wrapped around the cotton thread. It makes it shimmer nicely.

I attached the circles as I made them and found it hard to determine which was the top and bottom, even with the fact that I had not cut off the tails. I threw away a few circles because I attached them with the back facing up.

Blocking the large flower [IMG_7764]

The three flowers needed a little blocking to lay nicely. The circles might have benefited from some blocking but they are so teeny.

blocking the small flower [IMG_7770]

And, then there came the choice of what button should I use?

buttons [IMG_7761]

I've got a button jar that holds all of the extra buttons from previous projects. Dumping them out on the ottoman, Emma and I sifted through them to pick out which one we thought was best. It reminded me of the Little House on the Praire story where Laura Ingals and her sister Mary were "making" their sister Carrie a Christmas gift from their mother's buttons.

It made me want to have more buttons in my button jar.

finishing touches [IMG_7762]

We eventually decided on the clear button.

And the jewel [IMG_7859]

Today, Emma and I picked out the beads for the necklace out of our stashes. And by my stash of beads, I really mean Leah's stash of beads that I've adopted for myself. The large bead and the teeny gold beads came from Emma's stash and the clear/silverish beads came from mine. Luckily, Emma also has the right kind of pliers so I could bend the wire pin and attach it to the large flower.

side view [IMG_7860]

And, really, wasn't it a beautiful day to be outside? Why not take a few pictures of a finished necklace!

Mae Flower Necklace [IMG_7863]

In a moment of weakness, I told Emma she could have the necklace. I'm regretting that rash decision already. I did add a new rule today - if I find it on the floor at any time, its mine!

I think I'll be able to get it back in about a week.
To be overcome by the fragrance of flowers is a delectable form of defeat.
~Beverly Nichols

No comments:



best viewed with Firefox