And our master bedroom became a storage room of all our stuff.
Fast forward to 2 1/2 years ago when I finally believed my neurologist that I really did need to sleep more to help with my migraines and that my 9 am wake up time on the weekend was really responsible for pain free weekends so I convinced Keith that we needed to move back into the unfinished master bedroom so that the normal getting-ready-for-school noise wouldn't wake me up in the morning.
What did we do with all our stuff in 'storage'? It was pushed to the side so the bed fit in the middle of the room.
So, here we were, two days ago...
I was on vacation from work this week. My initial plan was to paint the family room, which was originally going to be painted last year at Thanksgiving and again at Christmas and...
...yes, it was scrapped again on Spring Break. But, instead of painting, I decided to tackle the mess on my side of the bed. I had seen a 3x3 cubicle storage shelf unit that would be perfect. So, Wednesday morning, I ran up to Home Depot and picked up my new organization.
Of course, the cat would be sleeping on the bed when I wanted to put all the stuff I was keeping on it! He got to sleep while I put together the shelves.
There was a lot of putting together and taking apart.
But it made me happy to see it come together.
Love the little details!
Finally, I was finished {and starting to get tired}. But I still had to clean out the spot for the shelves and then organize my stuff.
Whew, was that a JOB!
But, I found a few treasures in the mess...
One of Emma's pictures from school
Bookmarks from my kiddos
22 squares of a quilt I started when Keith and I were engaged. The colors were based on a picture Keith had {that we no longer have} and to be honest, I don't really like the colors anymore {peach is sooo 80's}. So, who knows if/when this project will ever be finished. And that doesn't count favorably for the finished sewing project count {which is dangerously low if my life depended on it}.
Finally, the floor was vacuumed and yarn in the cubicle 'drawers'. Pattern books, sheet music, journals all have a good place for them. The few things that were left over are nicely stacked.
Ahhh.
The shelves are about 3 feet high so they really don't hold that much. That said, they hold much more than I thought they would! I don't have that much left over that doesn't have a home.
As soon as I got this far, I knew that I wanted another one to put beside this one to hold what is left over. Thankfully, putting together a second unit will not include cleaning up years of mess!
Every time I go into my bedroom, I feel the extra space. I even did the there-used-to-be-something-here dance that all kids do when you rearrange the furniture because I just couldn't help it. I am a messy person by nature but slowly {very slowly} I am getting more organized.
Of course, it is easy to be organized when you have the week off from work. It'll be a whole different story starting next week.
If a cluttered desk is the sign of a cluttered mind, what is the significance of a clean desk?
~ Dr. Laurence J. Peter
![Before [IMG_5128]](http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2759/4483456628_fc9140b9fd.jpg)
![a cat's life [IMG_5134]](http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4044/4482810501_200239e12c.jpg)
![putting it together [IMG_5136]](http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2776/4483462848_a9c53bebe4.jpg)
![cubicles [IMG_5139]](http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4027/4482818091_942b98e9e3.jpg)
![covers [IMG_5143]](http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4014/4482820865_919bde593f.jpg)
![almost done [IMG_5145]](http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4052/4482823447_28c2460964.jpg)
![Emma's art [IMG_5146]](http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4071/4482829489_40347fe5b4.jpg)
![bookmarks [IMG_5147]](http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2704/4482833951_244c95dd56.jpg)
![unfinished quilt [IMG_5148]](http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4025/4482836117_6cfb97a160.jpg)
![after [IMG_5152]](http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4020/4482840557_172b9dab57.jpg)
![cubicle [IMG_5153]](http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4008/4483492092_a36e62f367.jpg)
![after [IMG_5157]](http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4028/4483494548_e54cc2271b.jpg)

3 comments:
WOW!!!! that looks great!!! i think spring cleaning needs to happen BEFORE Easter.... I think I missed the mark....
Isn't it a great feeling when you tackle a job that you keep putting off. Then when it's done it makes you smile. great job. I love to organize stuff,and I've got my share of Stacks of things that need tackled for sure.
ack.... my old artwork
Post a Comment