Sunday, December 18, 2011

Winding Way Mitts

After finishing up the mittens for my Mom, I felt I needed a little wool in my life too. And since I need my fingers to work, I picked out a fingerless mitten pattern and ordered up some of the wonderful wool that I am beginning to love more and more from Knit Picks.

I was not lying when I told you my hands are getting colder and colder each year, even if I said it to make you think the Fiddlehead mittens were for me. And my right hand, the mouse holding hand, is the coldest.

Winding Way Mitts [IMG_9285]

The Winding Way mittens.

Perfect for computer use.

Winding Way mitts [IMG_9288]

My only complaint about the design is that I like to have my cables go seamlessly into the ribbing. A 1x1 rib and a little planning could have achieved this. But, this is a small complaint for such a pretty design and easy pattern to execute.

Winding Way Mitts - Thumb Gussett [IMG_9289]

Plus, you gotta love that thumb gusset that just seems to grow out of one of the ribs on the palm.

Winding Way Mitts - Thumb [IMG_9291]

Since my hands are cold at work and I've had other fingerless mittens that left my fingers a little chilly, I made this pair a little longer in the thumb and near my fingers. I also shortened the 2x2 rib to only 3 rows because, to me, it just looked better to have less ribbing rather than more on the thumb.

Winding Way Mitts - palm [IMG_9299]

The palm is the simple 2x2 rib which makes for easy knitting and for a nice, springy fit.

Winding Way Mitts [IMG_9286]

My favorite part is the fact that the left mitten mirrors the right mitten. Or, is my favorite part the fact that these are mine and they keep my hands warm while working? Or, maybe the pumpkin color, which has been growing on me since I first opened the box.

So, really, all of it is my favorite.

But, you should know that, 'cuz I always say that.
I was coming home from kindergarten - well they told me it was kindergarten. I found out later I had been working in a factory for ten years. It's good for a kid to know how to make gloves.
~ Ellen DeGeneres

No comments:



best viewed with Firefox